Jacko's Journal

Chronicles of my return to life in Scotland after 34 years in Canada. While living and working in Edinburgh for 12 months, I expect to find many things to write about and hope to regale readers with stories of my adventures, experiences, observations and opinions. Responses are welcomed, encouraged and expected.

Name:
Location: New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

This blog started out as a way to record my return to live in my hometown of Edinburgh, Scotland in 2006 but serious illness and its after-effects forced a return to Canada in 2008 so I've had to give up the Scottish dream for awhile. Actually, I came back to Canada because my daughter was pregnant with her first child (my first grandchild) and I needed her emotional support to help me with recovery because I missed her so much.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

At Last!

Although I arrived in Edinburgh more than two months ago, this is my first post, for a variety of reasons, the main one being an endless wait to get internet. There are also no photos yet because the USB cable for my camera was left behind and Evan (my son) is trying to find it so he can send it to me.

I haven't figured out yet what the format or style of this blog will be but I'm sure it'll sometimes be written in the same way I talk: digressing all over the place and full of opinions on a diverse range of topics. I'll try not to swear too much (no promises though). Although most of my readers will be people who know me well and who have been kept up to date with what's been happening in the last couple of months, there are a few acquaintances who asked to be included in my distribution list who may need some background information. For those who know me only in passing, here's a brief summary to fill you in:

The aforementioned acquaintances have all had more than one conversation with me so they already know that I never shut up, I'm a bossy little bugger who curses like a sailor and who has a black sense of humour. Some stuff you might not know: I've returned to live in Edinburgh because this is where I was born and grew up. I emigrated to Canada at the age of 18 and lived in Calgary, Airdrie, Gabriola Island, Nanaimo and Burnaby for a total of 34 years. In 2004, I returned to Edinburgh for the first time in 27 years and, within 24 hours of my arrival, was having an epiphany among the graves in Greyfriars Churchyard: I'm home, was what I thought. And so I applied for a one-year leave of absence from my job, saved some back-up money, sold my condo, abandoned my kids (Meredith, 25 and married, and Evan, 21), left a whole bunch of wonderful friends and family behind, packed up two of my cats and dragged my life halfway across the world to try and get my accent back and reconnect with my one remaining sister.

Two months on, I'm just as delighted to be here as I was two years ago and, in some ways, feel like I've been here all along. I've experienced a couple of job-search disappointments and my battle with British Telecom in the quest for an internet connection took years off my life. However, I've had no regrets, haven't missed Canadian life yet (although I really miss my friends and family) and just can't get enough of my beautiful surroundings. Being here reinforces for me every day how lucky I am to have the freedom and the options that allowed me to embark on this adventure. I'm working as a temp (legal secretary) while looking for a job where I can use most of my skills and experience and which, ideally, I'll find gratifying. I'll keep you posted on that.

For now, check out this link to get an idea of where I am and what it looks like:

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/heritage/

Next time, now that we've got the vital statistics out of the way, I'll tell you a wee story about one of my favourite places in Edinburgh.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading this brought tears to my eyes, because I miss you so much and it just reminded me how far away you really are.

Hopefully before too long you'll come to your senses and realize you're actually miserable in a foreign land, and come home to us.

I miss you mummy, so don't get too cozy over there. Please come home!

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
What a coincidence as I attempted phoning you this morning without success so I'll have to try again.

I will make sure I bookmark your site and return often - don't leave anything out as we are living vicariously through your Jackie adventures.

Missed going to the world famous Jackie open house this year! Happy to see you posting! Until later!

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home