Jacko's Journal

Chronicles of my return to life in Scotland after 34 years in Canada. While living and working in Edinburgh for 12 months, I expect to find many things to write about and hope to regale readers with stories of my adventures, experiences, observations and opinions. Responses are welcomed, encouraged and expected.

Name:
Location: New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

This blog started out as a way to record my return to live in my hometown of Edinburgh, Scotland in 2006 but serious illness and its after-effects forced a return to Canada in 2008 so I've had to give up the Scottish dream for awhile. Actually, I came back to Canada because my daughter was pregnant with her first child (my first grandchild) and I needed her emotional support to help me with recovery because I missed her so much.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Assisted Living Update

Remember the smoker attached to oxygen? She unfortunately died last week. Lung cancer, which explains the oxygen. It's too bad because she was one of the few people in here that I could have been friends with. On the few occasions we had a conversation, I really took to her and enjoyed her company. She kept saying she was going to have to quit smoking, poor bugger, but maybe she figured, why deny herself the pleasure of her fags because her lungs were gone anyway? I don't know how old she was but I'm guessing younger than the average age for this place, which must be about 85. Too bad as I'd like to have known her better. Ah well - that's a lesson for me to get to know the next person I take to. There seems to be about one death a month among the residents here. One woman celebrates her 100th birthday tomorrow and looks as if she'll outlive us all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home