Jacko's Journal

Chronicles of my return to life in Scotland after 34 years in Canada. While living and working in Edinburgh for 12 months, I expect to find many things to write about and hope to regale readers with stories of my adventures, experiences, observations and opinions. Responses are welcomed, encouraged and expected.

Name:
Location: New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

This blog started out as a way to record my return to live in my hometown of Edinburgh, Scotland in 2006 but serious illness and its after-effects forced a return to Canada in 2008 so I've had to give up the Scottish dream for awhile. Actually, I came back to Canada because my daughter was pregnant with her first child (my first grandchild) and I needed her emotional support to help me with recovery because I missed her so much.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Gratitude

Despite my physical shortcomings and losses, I have a lot to be thankful for. Some of my blessings are: my independence, my mobility (a lot of stroke survivors end up bedridden, incontinent and speechless, some with mild dementia. I, however, have a life I couldn't imagine as I lay helpless in a hospital bed three years ago. It might not be the life I'd like to have but it's a lot better than the one I thought I was going to have on August 17, 2007. Other things I'm thankful for: my son Evan who regularly makes sure I know I'm loved unconditionally, as do my sister, Maureen and my brother, Eric. Thanks to Eric for driving me to any medical appointment I can't get to with Handidart or taxi. I'm so lucky to have a friend like Petra, who can always be counted on for the help I hate to ask for and who unfailingly reassures me that she enjoys spending time with me so that helping me isn't a sacrifice for her. My friend, Rona is a huge blessing because I know I can count on her for anything. When I went to Alberta to stay with her and her husband last year, I was frightened about leaving the security of my routine here and she looked after all my personal care needs to take my fear away, leaving me free to enjoy her company and stop worrying about inconveniencing her. She's the kind of friend everyone should have. Loyal and trustworthy and generous. In the twenty-plus years we've known each other, I've always known I could just pick up the phone, tell her what I need and if it's within her power, she'll make it happen.

It's always a mistake to thank people by name, Academy Award-style because somebody's sure to be left out. In my case, it's a mistake to name names because thinking of Evan and Maureen inevitably brings tears to my eyes because I miss them so much. My next task is to pluck up the courage to navigate an airport so I can visit the people I love and miss so much.

All in good time. Navigating an airport with luggage, a cane and one non-functioning hand will be difficult but not impossible for SuperStroker. And there's always the kindness of strangers, who will usually help when asked. All I have to do is ask and strangers can always be counted on to give me a hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home